Draft horse names are always catchy as it is fun to name your big horse. They are big and large in size and able to carry heavyweight. There are different horse breeds with docile temperament, patience, and a strong body.
Some pure draft breeds and crossbreed exist for logging, recreation, sports, and other farming use. Draft horses can be recognized by a tall body and muscular structure. The Shire, Belgian draft, and Clydesdale are some common breeds and Sampson was the largest breed ever recorded in history.
If you have a new foal or purchased a draft horse, the first step is to name your horse. Do not add quick slang to your horse, here is a complete list of names that is perfect for your draft horses.
Male Draft Horse Names
It is hard to differentiate between male and female draft breeds but male horses are more strong. Tough and strong names are the perfect choice for your male draft horse.
- Rocky – Rocky or Rock is tough to name for your draft. There is a breed name rocky mountain which is actually not a draft but most of the draft horses have similar rock colors.
- Ajax – He was a mythological character and sone of Telamon king. Ajax played important role in the Trojan war.
- Oscar – It is not just an award but also a translation of Divine strength in Hebrew.
- Beast – A big Giant creature or someone who is very strong in appearance. It is a perfect and badass name for your draft horse.
- Remo – Translation of strong in the Greek language
- Bones – Do you know your draft horse has a strong body, healthier muscles, and bones.
- Bolt – Bolt looks strong and tough, it is also a riding company and delivery system located in different countries
- Audie – Audie stands for ”Noble strength” in English
- Bruiser – It is a word for a strong and giant person. Bruiser was a movie character and a local fiction character from history.
- Bullet – Bullet is a fun name for your male draft, mostly draft horses are not fast runners. If your draft breed can run fast too then Bullet is perfection.
- Conall – For strong wolf in the Gaelic language
- Dagger – Dagger is a very sharp Knife with pointed edges. It is very sharp and sometimes comes with two pointed edges.
- Farris – Farris is the Arabic version name and translates into strong
- Diesel – It is common to name in draft breeds, diesel looks like a badass and a strong name.
- Goliath – It was the Giant character from the book.
- Karla – Translate into Strong in the French language
- Hercules – He was a mythological character with strong and fighting abilities
- Ethan – Translate word strong in the Hebrew language
more male draft names
Female Draft Horse Names
Here are some perfect name for female draft horse.
- Nitro – Nitro is a technical IT term and short term for Nitroglycerin (an explosive gas)
- Shyla – Translation into strong in the Irish language
- Filomena – Friend of strength in the Greek language
- Chollima – Name comes from Chinese. The meaning behind this is that Chollima is the horse that gallops thousands of miles in a day. It stands for courage and ability.
- Tulpar – It is a winged horse from Turk Methodology
- Ada – She was a mathematician who wrote a mechanical form of Charles Babbage’s work. Her full name is Ada Lovelace.
- Chucky – It is a famous character from a child’s play. If you want to pick a fierce name for a mare ”Chucky” is a catchy tag.
- Rebel – Rebe assign of resistant and best for the female horse.
- Talo – Claw of a predatory bird
- Villa – It is a specific type of house in German.
- Kaori – Japanese translation in strong language
- Nina – American translation to strong language
- Isla – Translation to strong in the German language
here are some more strong names for female horses.
Draft Horse Breeds Names
Here are some common draft horse breeds. They are very calm but heavy in size. From shire to Belgian draft every breed is best to keep.
They are very calm , large, and sweet nature horses. The Shire bred for haulage, forest, and Agriculture work. Here are some draft names for them.
Read more shire names
Belgian draft is another pure draft breed that bred for Agriculture, war, and foresty purposes. Here are some Belgian draft names.
They come from Scotland and mainly used for haulage, Agriculture, and war purposes. Clydesdale used for drum purposes as they make strong relations with the owner. Here are some names for this draft breed.
More Clydesdale names
Another draft breed which originates from western France and intelligent breed ever. They are used in a variety of tasks. Here are some names for Percheron names.
Naming tips for Draft Horse
Naming your draft horse is easy if you follow basic naming rules and breed knowledge. Draft horses are big or giant in size so they need tough names. The above list is full of badass names that perfect fit for every draft breed. Here are some tips that can help you to pick the best name for your horse.
- Make sure your horse is easy to call and enjoyable. Difficult names are not good for the long term. Names like Beast, Bulb, or Bullet are perfect for draft horses.
- Select some names from draft breeds. Myhorsenames provides a list of some draft horse breed names which are perfect for draft horses. You can pick names from this list.
- You can try names on the base of color, body appearance, and breed. Some biggest horse breeds are also included in draft horses which provides catchy naming ideas.
Follow the above-given tips while naming your draft horse. They are giant and calm creatures so keep in mind their behavior. We added some names from these breeds. Drop your favorite name in the comments.
Hi, I am Waqar and active in the horse world since 2012. I have MSc (Hons) in Agriculture from the University of Agriculture Faisalabad. I love to solve equine health care issues and note down in the form of research papers.
I have written hundreds of equine health care, accessories, names, and history-related blogs. My equine related work is watering a lot of horse-related magazines and blogs.